Ms McAlpine met Modern Apprentices and their assessors along with Directors Tricia and Andrew Hunter last Friday.
“The Modern Apprentices I met were all learning while in work in fields like childcare and administration.
“Minerva work hard at finding employers to take on an Apprentice and matching them with a young person.
“It’s important that young people know there are alternatives to college and university, and it’s really encouraging that more than 2,500 modern apprenticeship starts have been introduced in Dumfries and Galloway in the past three years.
“There are of course barriers in rural communities which need to be addressed and we need to keep developing Modern Apprenticeship programmes to take account of that.
“For example, as Tricia explained to me, many micro Businesses cannot afford a full time Modern Apprentice, so exploring schemes where a young person can complete their Apprenticeship with two employers – giving them full time work – is definitely something we should look at.”
Pictured in the first photo left to right are:
- Lois Wright – Business and Administration Level 2 Modern Apprentice with G M Thomson, Surveyors in Dumfries
- Eryn Williamson – Management Level 3 Modern Apprentice from Dumfries and Galloway Council Graduate Programme
- Emma McKinnon – Childcare Level 3 Modern Apprentice from Kids Ahoy Nursery, Dumfries
- Joan McAlpine MSP
- Rhys Dear – Childcare Level 3 Modern Apprentice from Malory Day Nursery, Dumfries
- Amy Anderson – Admin Level 2 Modern Apprentice with Minerva People Limited, Training and Recruitment Dumfries and she completed her level 2 on the day Joan visited and now progressing on to Level 3.
The second photo is Joan with some of the Staff from Minerva People and they are left to right –
Tricia Hunter MD, Tracey McEwan Childcare Co-ordinator, Sharee Rennie Management Co-ordinator, Joan McAlpine, Andrew Hunter Director, Michaela Bitsanis Administration Assessor, Marion McFadzean Hospitality Assessor, Susan Deeney Recruitment/Workplace Co-ordinator and Amy Anderson Modern Apprentice.