From Nicola Sturgeon…
With less than 40 days until Scotland goes to the polls, our campaign is in top gear. Scotland faces a clear choice of two contrasting futures.
We can either continue being tied to damaging Tory governments we rejected for over 60 years, or we can put Scotland’s recovery in Scotland’s hands.
This morning, I set out a range of bold, new progressive policies – making it our national mission to end child poverty.
If re-elected, we will double our Scottish Child Payment – hailed as “game-changing” by charities – from £10 to £20 per week for each eligible child.
We’ve also committed to extending free school meals – breakfasts and lunches – to all primary school pupils, in all classes, all year round.
And we’re ramping up our ambition further still, with our pledge to provide free laptops for every child.
Our vision of rebuilding Scotland is bursting with confidence:
• Doubling the Scottish Child Payment.
• Rewarding our NHS staff with at least a 4% pay rise.
• Nationalising Scotland’s railways
• Introducing a National Care Service.
• A digital device for every school pupil.
• Scrapping council tax for all those under 22.
• £50 million women’s business centre.
• £100 million digital boost scheme.
• £20 million rural entrepreneur fund.
• At least one few fast track cancer diagnostic service in every health board area.
• Young Person’s Guarantee.
• Delivering 100,000 more affordable homes – with 70% for social rent.
And that’s only the start. Over the next days and weeks, we’ll be setting out our plans in more detail, and our manifesto will brim with limitless ambition for Scotland.
Our campaign is centred on optimism and hope for the future.
We’re delivering progress in government despite limited powers and Tory cuts. Just think of how much more we could do with the full powers of independence.
There is now real hope as we emerge out of lockdown and move ever closer towards independence. But to get there, we must win first.
We have a strong and diverse team of candidates in this election, all driven by our shared goal of building a fairer country and putting Scotland’s future in Scotland’s hands.
How you can help:
Share our #TeamSNP video with at least 5 friends, neighbours or family on Twitter and Facebook to help us reach every community and every street in Scotland.
The deadline to apply for a postal vote is fast approaching – now only 8 days away. Voting by post is the safest way to make your voice heard, so apply here if you haven’t already: